What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant in the ginger family and its native to Southeast Asia. It’s commonly used in food (often in curries) and as a dye. Turmeric rhizomes (the fleshly root-like structure) can be used fresh or in powder form.
Typically, the powdered form is made by boiling the fresh rhizomes, then baking till dried, and grinding into a powder. Turmeric powder has a beautiful deep orange color.
Turmeric is used in many Asian dishes. Especially in South Asian and Middle Eastern cooking – Indian and Nepali cuisines both use it in savory and sweet dishes, Indonesian cuisine includes it in soups and stir-fry dishes, and Persian cuisine uses it in stews and as a base in spice mixtures. It was also used in medieval Europe as an alternative to saffron which was an incredibly expensive spice at the time, a pound of it was equal to 30 day’s wages.
What can you do with turmeric?
Turmeric can be used in many ways. One of its primary uses is in food, where it adds a pungent, mustard-like flavor. It can change the color of a dish significantly – especially when used in rice, curries, yogurt, and cakes.
Turmeric also has rumored health benefits, although we recommend consulting with your doctor before using it in a medicinal capacity. It’s often used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for poor digestion, colds, and throat infections.
It is also used in a variety of rituals around the world. In some Asian countries, it’s considered good luck to rub it on babies’ foreheads or wear it during a wedding ceremony.
Below is a list of recipes that feature turmeric from some wonderful bloggers!
- 10 minute Whole30 Curry from The Movement Menu
- Apple Kale Quinoa Salad with Pumpkin Turmeric Dressing from As Easy As Apple Pie
- Blackberry and Turmeric Lemonade from We are not Martha.
- Blood Orange-Turmeric Upside Down Pound Cake Recipe from Cooking on the Weekends
- Butternut Squash & Turmeric Soup from Garden in the Kitchen
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala from Vegetarian Gastronomy
- Chamomile Moon Milk from Meg is Well
- Chicken Artichoke Olive Skillet from Running to the Kitchen
- Chocolate Chunk Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies from Fit Mitten Kitchen
- Cinnamon Turmeric Super Seed Energy Bars from Fit Mitten Kitchen
- Crispy Turmeric Chickpeas from Vegging at the Shore.
- Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup from Cotter Crunch
- Easy Raw Paleo Lemon Bars from The Movement Menu
- Easy Vegan Split Pea Soup Recipe with Turmeric from Umami Girl
- Fresh Turmeric and Ginger Pickle Recipe from Monsoon Spice
- Ginger and Turmeric Carrot Soup from Lemon Blossoms
- Golden Milk with Fresh Turmeric from This Healthy Table
- Healthy Salmon and Tomato Curry with Spinach from The Cook Report
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala from Savory Tooth
- Kerala Egg Curry from Sandhya’s Kitchen
- Lemon Turmeric Energy Balls from Natalie’s Food and Health
- Mango Turmeric Smoothie Bowl from A Cookie Named Desire
- Moroccan Chickpea Stew from The Life Jolie
- Mujaddara – Lentils, Rice, & Caramelized Onions from This Healthy Table
- Peach Turmeric Smoothie Bowls from The Organic Kitchen
- Pita Pockets with Roasted Veggies and Hummus from Happy Kitchen Rocks
- Prawn Kare Lomen from Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Quinoa Power Breakfast with Radishes from Veggie Inspired
- Radiant Bok Choy Soup from The View from Great Island
- Raw Cauliflower Turmeric Sushi from Delightful Vegans
- Persian Zucchini Kuku from The Delicious Crescent
- Roasted Spicy Cauliflower with Paprika and Turmeric from Yay! For Food
- Sfoof – Lebanese Turmeric Buns from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Shrimp Coconut Curry from The Spice Train
- Slow Cooker Indian Chicken Curry from The Spice Train
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding with Turmeric & Cinnamon from A Virtual Vegan
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Masala from Champagne Tastes
- South Asian Spiced Shakshuka with Bell Pepper and Spinach from Feast in Thyme.
- Spicy Coconut Chicken with Coconut Turmeric Dipping Sauce from Lively Table
- Tropical Turmeric Smoothie from Flavour & Savour
- Turmeric Carrot Muffins with Chia & Coconut from Vegan Richa
- Turmeric Chicken & Quinoa from Wendy Polisi
- Turmeric Ginger Chicken Barley Soup from Meg is Well
- Turmeric Hummus from Sandhya’s Kitchen
- Turmeric Lentil Stew from Running to the Kitchen
- Turmeric Oatmeal – A Glowing Breakfast Bowl from Lauren Caris Cooks
- Turmeric Tea from The View from Great Island
- Vegan Ravioli with Pumpkin and Ricotta from Avocado Pesto
- Vegan Roasted Carrot Soup with Lentils from Happy Kitchen Rocks
- Vegan Turmeric Eggnog from Abra’s Kitchen
- Vegetarian Chickpea Stew from This Healthy Table
- Yellow Glow Energizing Water from Vibrant Plate
- Zingy Turmeric Ginger Lemonade with Mint from Cotter Crunch
And finally, a little something for your puppy friend!
Where to Buy Turmeric
Turmeric is available in most grocery stores and from several online vendors. When buying spices, it’s important to make sure you are buying from distributers that sell high-quality spices. One I trust is Frontier Ground Turmeric Root.