You're going to love this black bean salad with bell peppers, red onion, and a kick of fajita seasoning. It's a hearty side dish that has a great crunch from the fresh peppers.
It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so it makes a great meal prep lunch or make-ahead salad for a BBQ.
Why You'll Love this Black Bean Salad
This deliciously crunchy and creamy salad has all the flavor. If you like bright and fresh bell peppers and creamy, hearty black beans you are going to love this salad. It's super easy to make and makes a great side dish or simple main meal.
This vegan recipe is ready in about 15 minutes. It saves well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, making it a great meal prep recipe.
Bean and Pepper Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe.
- Peppers - the bell peppers and jalapenos bring a crunchy freshness to the salad
- Alliums - the garlic and red onion add a sharp bite.
- Black Beans - protein-heavy and delicious, these beans are the foundation of the salad.
- Spices & Salt - the fajita seasoning blend and kosher salt add a kick and bring out the natural flavor of the veggies.
- Acid - the lime juice adds brightness and balance.
How to Make a Bell Pepper & Bean Salad
This salad comes together quickly! It just takes a few minutes to chop all the fresh ingredients. We use canned beans to make this recipe go really quickly. If you'd like to use dried black beans, here's how to make them in the instant pot or on the stovetop.
- Chop the vegetables - prep the veggies (peppers, garlic, onion, etc) and dice them.
- Combine the beans & veggies - drain and rinse the beans and combine them with the vegetables.
- Add the flavor - top the beans and vegetables with the lime juice, salt, and fajita seasoning. Stir to combine and serve.
More Incredible Side Dish Recipes
We love a hearty veggie side dish. Check out some of our other favorites we think you'll like.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts - Roasting Brussels sprouts brings out all their flavor! This great, easy side dish of roasted Brussels sprouts is always a hit.
- Shaved Zucchini Salad - This shaved zucchini salad recipe combines lemon, goat cheese, microgreens, and toasted pine nuts for an exquisite and luscious side dish.
- Roasted Red Cabbage - This roasted red cabbage is a gorgeous side dish recipe! It’s our favorite way to eat red cabbage – roasting it really brings out the flavor but also adds some great crunchy bits.
- Shaved Fennel & Asparagus Quinoa Salad - This shaved fennel and asparagus salad recipe combines quinoa, Manchego cheese, red onion, and a zesty lemon dressing.
Tips for Making this Recipe
- You can make your own fajita seasoning - check out our homemade fajita seasoning. It's a delicious spice blend you can use in lots of ways!
- If you don't like spicy food, go ahead and leave out the jalapeno and just use sweet bell peppers in this recipe.
- If your red onion is very pungent, soak it in ice water for 10 minutes before adding it to the salad. It will keep its allium flavor but lose its harshness.
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning
- Combine the black beans and the diced peppers, onion, and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, lime juice, kosher salt, and fajita seasoning.
- Serve immediately or save in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*If your red onion is very pungent, soak it in ice water for 10 minutes to reduce the sharpness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 775mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g