This fantastic cantaloupe quick bread is easy to pull together. It's a moist, delicious loaf of bread.
You may be wondering how you actually make bread with cantaloupe, but it's surprisingly simple! All you need to do is grate the cantaloupe with a cheese grater.
This is one of the best recipes for cantaloupe and a great way to use overripe cantaloupe.
Why You Should Make Cantaloupe Bread
This is one of the most interesting ways to use a ripe cantaloupe - it's especially good if your cantaloupe is a little over ripe and you don't want to use it in a salad.
It makes a delicious loaf of bread that's great to serve for an afternoon snack or a quick breakfast. It's sweet enough to be a treat but not overly sweet.
One of the best parts of making this bread is that it only requires one bowl - no separate bowl for dry ingredients. And like most other quick bread (like banana bread or zucchini bread) you don't need to knead the dough or use a mixer to make it.
You don't need much to make this bread recipe - it calls for a few pantry ingredients. Here's what you'll need.
- Baking soda
- Ground ginger
- Kosher salt
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4x8 inch loaf pan.
Cut the rind off the cantaloupe and grate it using a box grater. You want to end up with around 2 cups cantaloupe.
Melt the butter in a microwave.
Add the butter and grated cantaloupe to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
Add the cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, and sugar to the cantaloupe mixture and stir to combine.
Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.
Then add the flour and stir just till combined.
Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through. Use a wooden skewer to crumb test.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing and slicing.
More Great Cantaloupe Recipes
If you love cantaloupe recipes as much as I do, check out some of these favorites.
How to Choose a Ripe Cantaloupe
Here's how to choose the best fresh cantaloupe.
- Appearance - A ripe melon should be a tan or creamy yellow color with light green striations/lines.
- Firmness - It should be firm, but not rock hard, without any obvious bruising
- Smell - It should have a fruity, musky smell without any acidity
After allowing the bread to cool, you can wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container or bag. It will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature.
You can freeze cantaloupe bread as well. I recommend slicing it and wrapping each piece separately, so you can reheat the amount you'd like to use.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - This recipe takes 50 minutes to 1 hour to bake. You can use a toothpick or wooden skewer to test the bread. The bread will be done when the skewer is poked in the center and comes back crumb-free.
Ingredient Variations - You can use white sugar or cane sugar instead of brown sugar. I'd recommend adding an additional ¼ cup if you use white, granulated sugar.
Alternative Preparations - If you don't have or would prefer not to use a box grater or cheese grater, you can blend the cantaloupe in a blender or food processor to make a cantaloupe puree.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ medium cantaloupe, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4x8 inch loaf pan.
- Cut the rind off the cantaloupe and grate it using a box grater.
- Melt the butter in a microwave.
- Add the butter and grated cantaloupe to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, and sugar to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Then add the flour and stir just till combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through. Use a wooden skewer to crumb test.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing and slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g