This citrus pomegranate salad recipe combines crumbly feta cheese, bright greens, slivered shallots, and a zesty dressing for an exceptional winter citrus salad. It’s juicy and fresh and showcases some of the best winter's fruit.
This winter citrus fruit salad recipe is a perfect side dish for four, but it could also be enjoyed as a light and refreshing lunch or brunch for two.
What makes this Winter Citrus Salad Great
This fresh, winter salad recipe is a beautiful celebration of juicy, tangy citrus fruit. When citrus is at its peak, it is truly extraordinary. You don't need to do much to it to really enjoy its bright hits of flavor.
Combined with a mellow feta cheese and the bright pockets of joy that are pomegranate seeds, it's a salad worth making.
This would be a great fruit salad to serve for a Christmas meal or other holiday party.
How to Choose the Best Citrus
Citrus is available for much of the year, but it really shines from November through January - although it will be plentiful and delicious till almost May.
To find the best citrus, look for the following:
- Firm peels that are not shriveled
- Heavy fruit for its size (this means it's juicy)
- Flesh that has a little give (if its rock hard, it's past its prime)
Citrus Pomegranate Salad Ingredients
For this salad recipe, you’ll need 3 pieces of citrus fruit (we used grapefruit, a Cara Cara orange, and a tangerine), a shallot, some baby greens, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, and vinaigrette ingredients (olive oil, garlic clove, lemon juice, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, and S&P).
How to Make a Pomegranate Citrus Salad
Making this citrus salad recipe is a snap - you just need to:
- Prep the citrus and shallot. Cut the citrus to remove the pith and make slices. Gently sliver the shallot.
- Make the vinaigrette. Marinate the garlic clove in the olive oil for 10 minutes. Remove the garlic clove and combine the oil with the vinegar, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Toss the greens. Toss the greens and shallots with half the vinaigrette.
- Build the salad. Plate half the greens, then half the citrus, half the feta, and half the pomegranate seeds. Then repeat by building the second layer in the same order and top with the remaining vinaigrette.
More Winter Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
If you love winter produce, you’ll enjoy these recipes as well!
- Cara Cara Orange Panzanella Salad
- Waldorf Salad Recipe
- Citrus Fennel Salad Recipe
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
Tips for this Salad Recipe:
- Check out our guide on the best way to peel a pomegranate. It's really helpful!
- Don't forget the step of letting the garlic clove marinate in the olive oil - it really adds depth to the vinaigrette.
- This recipe is very flexible - you can substitute other types of cheese if you don't like feta cheese (mozzarella and pecorino would both be great) or if you'd like to make it vegan - swap out the cheese for avocado.
- 3 pieces of citrus fruit (we used grapefruit, a Cara Cara orange, and a tangerine)
- 1 shallot
- 2 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 ounces crumbly feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Crush the garlic clove, remove the skin, and place in the olive oil. Allow garlic to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the citrus by cutting off both ends and then running a pairing knife down the sides to cut off strips of the peel and pith. Then cut into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Cut the shallot into very thin slices. Toss with the greens.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by removing the garlic clove from the olive oil and discarding it. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to the oil and whisk to combine.
- Toss the greens and shallots with half the vinaigrette.
- Place half the greens on a large serving dish, then half the citrus, sprinkle half the feta cheese and pomegranate seeds on top. Then repeat with remaining ingredients in a second layer. Top with remaining vinaigrette before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g