If you're looking for an easy, healthy breakfast, this green smoothie bowl is for you.
Full of nutrients and only five ingredients, this green smoothie bowl recipe makes the perfect breakfast and is a great way to start the day. Add your favorite toppings for an extra hearty meal, or enjoy this healthy breakfast as is.
Why You'll Love this Green Smoothie Bowl
If you've never had a smoothie bowl, it's similar to a smoothie but a little bit thicker and feels more filling - since you eat it with a spoon, not a straw. This healthy smoothie bowl is perfectly sweet and creamy from the frozen banana and just a bit of maple syrup.
This bowl is delicious on its own, or you can add your favorite toppings for a flavor twist and additional healthy ingredients.
Green Smoothie Bowl Ingredients
Frozen ripe bananas - you'll want to use frozen bananas as they help with the soft serve ice cream, creamy texture. Cut each banana into four pieces (or small rounds) and freeze on a parchment-lined tray for a few hours. You don't want to freeze the banana whole and with the peel. It's extremely difficult to peel and cut once frozen.
Mixed leafy greens - use your favorite mixed greens. Kale and fresh spinach work great and don't alter the flavor.
Coconut milk - you can use your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk. Almond milk and oat milk also work great!
Maple syrup - just a bit of maple syrup helps to add a little extra sweetness in addition to the banana.
You can also add your favorite protein powder for extra protein. Depending on your powder, you may need to slightly adjust the amount of coconut milk. Add a little bit at a time and only if needed. You don't want the bowl to become too liquidy.
How to Make this Green Smoothie Bowl
Using a high-speed blender, add your smoothie ingredients to the blender. Blend on high. It will take about 3 minutes and a few times stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender before the smoothie is blended entirely and has a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
Once blended, pour into a bowl and top with your favorite topping. These could include fresh fruit, nuts, nut butter, seeds, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, or granola.
Green Smoothie Bowl Toppings
The fun part about a smoothie bowl is adding toppings! You can add whatever you would like. Just about any toppings will work with this recipe. Here are a few great options.
- Chia seeds - if you don't leave your bowl sit too long, chia seeds add a nice mild crunch and a healthy punch of protein and fiber.
- Nut butter - Nut butters like peanut butter and almond butter add a great flavor as well as some healthy fats to this bowl.
- Hemp seeds - full of protein, hemp seeds are a tasty addition to this healthy green smoothie bowl.
- Shredded coconut - Another topping that adds just the slightest crunch and texture with a great taste.
- Granola - add your favorite granola for an extra special and extra hearty breakfast. We love this homemade granola.
- Dried or fresh fruit - fresh kiwis, dried goji berries, and/or strawberries are great in this smoothie bowl.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl - Another delicious smoothie bowl with classic ingredients and a delicious taste.
- Magic Shell Smoothie Bowl - This fun smoothie bowl includes a fun healthy chocolate shell to add delicious excitement to your smoothie bowl. It's also easy to make!
- Peach Smoothie Recipe - A vegan peach smoothie with oats included for a filling breakfast smoothie.
- Easy Fruit Smoothie Roundup - we rounded up our favorite smoothies in one post. This one includes additional green smoothie recipes like a tropical green smoothie bowl.
If you try this green smoothie bowl, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos, or leave us a rating.
- 3 frozen bananas
- 2 cups mixed greens (baby spinach or lettuce)
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Add your smoothie ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for about 3 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender. Blend till wholly combined and at a soft serve ice cream consistency.
- Once blended, pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings, including sliced fresh fruit, nuts, nut butter, seeds, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, or granola.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 10gSugar: 57gProtein: 6g