This Moroccan tagine spice blend is incredibly versatile. It's great on burgers, roasted chicken, rice dishes, lamb, roasted vegetables, or chili.
This homemade spice mix is easy to make and is a small batch (3 teaspoons) so you can use it all in one or two dishes!
Why You'll Love This Moroccan Spice Blend
This blend is aromatic and savory. It's perfect for dishes that need a deep, rich spice with notes of cardamom, ginger, and cumin.
I love adding this spice to whole roasted chicken (rub it on before baking) and in my spice roasted chickpeas snack.
Because this is a smaller batch mix you won't have a ton leftover you have to store in your spice cabinet. Just whip it up and use it all at once or to flavor a main and a side course.
Ingredients You'll Need
To make this blend you'll need a few ground spices, so make sure to have the following single spices on hand.
- Sea Salt
- Garlic Powder
I highly recommend replacing your most important spices each year. If you haven't gone through the whole bottle of cinnamon, cumin, or paprika - go ahead and replace them.
Spices lose their pungency over time and should always be stored in a dark, cool, and dry place (ie. don't leave them in sunlight, store them next to the oven, or put them in the fridge).
More Spice Blends to Try
If you love spice blends as much as I do, check out some of my other favorite homemade spice mixes.
- Dukkah Spice Mix - a nutty blend that's perfect for topping salads and avocado toast.
- Hawaij Spice Blend - a Yemeni spice blend that's wonderful in coffee, baked goods and on chicken.
- Baharat Spice Mix - a Middle Eastern blend that's also called 7 spice. It's popular in Lebanese and Levant cooking.
- Italian Seasoning - a herbacious mix that's great on chicken and in soups.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Combine all the spices in a bowl or jar and stir to combine.
- Use immediately or store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 months.