This Mexican watermelon salad recipe with tajin, Cotija cheese, and cilantro is a delightful, refreshing dish!
It's got the chili lime tajin seasoning that adds some heat and citrus flavor but is mellowed out with the crumbly Cotija.
This is an excellent side salad or a great light lunch. It's best with juicy, summer watermelon!
Why You'll Love This Flavor Combo
Watermelon and tajin is one of my favorite falvor combinations! The kicky lime seasoning mix is a classic addition to a slice of watermelon, so I knew I had to add it to use it in a salad recipe.
I've used tajin before on grilled cantaloupe - it's really delicious on all sweet fruit if you like a sweet and savory combo!
I've mellowed out the salad with a sprinkle of Cotija cheese which has a lovely creamy, crumbly texture.
Ingredients for Watermelon with Tajin
Watermelon - You'll need 1/2 a small, seedless watermelon or 1/4 of a large watermelon. Your melon should be a dark green color on the outside and be heavy for its size (meaning it's very juicy).
Tajin Seasoning - You'll use 1 tablespoon of tajin seasoning - a delightful blend of chili, lime, and sea salt.
Cotija Cheese - You'll use 2 ounces of finely crumbled Cotija cheese. Cotija is a Mexican cow's milk cheese that has a similar texture to parmesan.
Olive Oil - You'll use 1 tablespoon of olive oil as a topping. Use the best olive oil you have - this is when you can break out the extra virgin!
Limes - You'll need 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lime juice as well as some lime wedges for serving.
Cilantro - You'll need 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh cilantro. I love chopping cilantro really small - it ensure you'll get a little in each bite!
Jalapeno (optional) - If you'd like some extra spice, you can finely sliver about 1/4 of a jalapeno pepper.
More Watermelon Recipes to Try
If you love this recipe, check out some of our other favorite ways to use watermelon!
- Watermelon Cucumber Mosaic Salad - a beautiful cubed fruit salad
- Watermelon Poke Bowl (Vegan) - a delicious marinated watermelon dish with lots of fresh ingredients
- Watermelon Mozzarella Salad - gorgeous salad stacks that are great as an appetizer or side salad
- Watermelon Olive Salad - a unique flavor combination that doesn't dissapoint
- Dark Chocolate Watermelon - super cute watermelon desserts on sticks
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Specialty Ingredients - For this recipe, you'll need Tajin Seasoning - it's a Mexican chili lime seasoning and you can buy it online or find it at almost any grocery store.
Storing Tips - You can store this recipe in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you find the watermelon has dried out, drizzle it with a little more olive oil.
Diet/Allergy Alternatives - If you'd like this recipe to be vegan or dairy-free, leave off the Cotija cheese and add more herbs.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1/2 small seedless watermelon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tajin seasoning
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, sliced for serving
- optional - 1/4 of a jalapeno, finely sliced
- Place the watermelon cut side down on a cutting board. Run a knife from the top to the bottom in strips to cut the rind off.
- Cut the watermelon into 1-inch thick plates then slice into triangles.
- Arrange the sliced on a large plate or tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice.
- Sprinkle with tajin seasoning and Cotija cheese. Add the cilantro and optional jalapenos.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 758mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g