This delicious sautéed swiss chard recipe is so easy to make and tastes great!
This tasty side dish is ready in minutes and uses both the stem and leaves of the chard.
Serve our simple sautéed swiss chard recipe alongside some roast chicken, pasta, or fish. It's a perfect pairing for any main dish and a great way to enjoy chard.
Why You Should Make this Recipe
This is a delicious way to prepare chard and it's so simple! You'll cook the onion and chard stems along with the garlic before wilting the leaves, giving each ingredient enough time to become tender.
The olive oil and gentle sauté remove any bitter taste from the chard, leaving you with a perfect side dish. I hope you'll enjoy this simple swiss chard recipe as much as I do!
Want more healthy vegetable side dishes, try some of these awesome recipes. Also, be sure to check out our swiss chard recipe roundup and our post on sautéed kohlrabi greens for more ideas on how to cook greens.
Here's what you'll need to make this simple swiss chard side dish.
- Swiss Chard or Rainbow Chard (there are several varieties of chard that will work for this recipe!)
- Olive Oil
- Medium Yellow Onion
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional - Lemon Juice
See the recipe card for quantities.
Wash the swiss chard to remove any grit. Trim the end of the stems to remove any broken or wilted pieces.
Remove the green leaves from the stems and roughly chop them.
Dice the stems into ½ inch pieces.
Dice the onion and mince the garlic cloves.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for 4 minutes.
Add the chard stems and sauté for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add in the chard leaves and sauté just till wilted.
Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle on salt and pepper, along with optional lemon juice. Stir and serve immediately.
Links on some posts are affiliate links and we may earn commissions if you click links in our posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want to add a bit more flavor or texture to this simple side dish? Try some of these options!
- Toppings - Try topping the cooked chard with some Toasted Walnuts, toasted pine nuts, or a sprinkle of Dukkah Spice.
- Spices - Add some Sumac for citrus flavor or Sichuan Peppercorns for a little spice.
- Sauces - Try drizzling some balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses over the cooked chard for a zingy kick.
- Cheese - Top with some crumbly feta cheese or a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
Here are some substitution ideas if you don't have the ingredients this recipe calls for.
- Greens - This method will work for almost any type of green leafy vegetable. You can substitute the chard for beet greens, kale, or other leafy greens.
- Oil - You can use coconut oil or avocado oil in place of olive oil.
- Onion - You can substitute a red onion or two shallots for the yellow onion.
With two bunches of chard, you'll have a substantial amount of greens, so make sure to use a large skillet. I used a nonstick green pan, which I highly recommend.
The cooked chard will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container.
The chard will wilt quickly, so keep an eye on it in the last minute or two of cooking to make sure you don't overcook it.
It will continue to wilt when you pull it off the heat, so transfer it to a serving dish quickly.
- 2 bunches of Swiss chard (or rainbow chard)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional - squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Wash the swiss chard to remove any grit. Trim the end of the stems to remove any broken or wilted pieces.
- Remove the leaves from the stems and roughly chop, dice the stems into ½ inch pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the chard stems and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in the chard leaves and sauté just till wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle on salt and pepper, along with optional lemon juice. Stir and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g