This strawberry tahini shortcake is surprisingly easy to whip up and has all the flavor!
It’s strawberry season and the berries couldn’t taste any better! I thought, why not use them in one of my favorite cakes – the tahini yogurt cake from Bon Appetit! I’m calling this a shortcake because I topped it with whipped cream and more berries. Generally, a shortcake would be a little lighter and get its fat from butter (instead of yogurt), but I needed an excuse to make this tahini cake again.
Honestly, I wasn’t 100% these flavors would work. My husband actually suggested I try this flavor combo and I’m so glad I did – because I’ve eaten a piece of this cake every day since I made it and it’s moist, complex, and delicious.
Enjoy this delightful strawberry tahini shortcake!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup & 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray (or butter and flour)
- Mix cardamom and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dice 2 cups of the strawberries and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, 1 cup of sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs, yogurt, oil, and lemon zest then whisk to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until fully combined. Then add the 2 cups of chopped strawberries and gently fold them in.
- Add the batter to the baking pan and spread to level the top.
- Mix tahini and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle it across the batter and then sprinkle the top with the cardamom sugar mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan. Invert and then turn right side up.
- When the cake is fully cooled, spread the whipped cream and remaining strawberries across the top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g