This strawberry tahini shortcake is surprisingly easy to whip up and has all the flavor!
It’s strawberry season and the berries couldn’t taste any better! I thought, why not use them in one of my favorite cakes – the tahini yogurt cake from Bon Appetit!
I’m calling this a shortcake because I topped it with whipped cream and more berries. Generally, a shortcake would be a little lighter and get its fat from butter (instead of yogurt), but I needed an excuse to make this tahini cake again.
Honestly, I wasn’t 100% these flavors would work. My husband actually suggested I try this flavor combo and I’m so glad I did – because I’ve eaten a piece of this cake every day since I made it and it’s moist, complex, and delicious.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you love this shortcake, check out some of our other favorite dessert recipes!
Enjoy this delightful strawberry tahini shortcake!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup & 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray (or butter and flour)
- Mix cardamom and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dice 2 cups of the strawberries and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, 1 cup of sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs, yogurt, oil, and lemon zest then whisk to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until fully combined. Then add the 2 cups of chopped strawberries and gently fold them in.
- Add the batter to the baking pan and spread to level the top.
- Mix tahini and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle it across the batter and then sprinkle the top with the cardamom sugar mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan. Invert and then turn right side up.
- When the cake is fully cooled, spread the whipped cream and remaining strawberries across the top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g