This tasty Turkish potato salad is a hearty and filling side dish that's so flavorful.
The combination of bell peppers, green onions, fresh herbs, and kicky spices really makes this dish special.
In Turkish, this recipe is called Patates Salatası and it's often eaten as a main dish during summer picnics or as part of a mezze spread.
Why You'll Love this Potato Salad
This is a mayo-free potato salad, but it still has all the comforting flavor and texture you want in a potato salad!
Sumac is often used in Turkish cooking and it's a bright, citrusy spice that really shines in this recipe. Potatoes are a bit like the color black in that they work with just about anything - they're a good canvas for other ingredients to show off!
While the potatoes take some time to boil, this is an otherwise straightforward recipe that doesn't require too much hands-on time.
Ingredients You'll Need
Potatoes - You'll need 3 pounds of potatoes for this recipe. I like using Russet potatoes because I like a creamier salad, but if you like firmer potatoes use Yukon Gold or Red potatoes.
Bell Pepper - You'll use 1 bell pepper that will be finely diced. Green bell peppers are the traditional pepper used, but you can use whatever pepper you'd like!
Green Onions - You'll need 4 green onions (or scallions) for this salad. You'll dice them and use both the lighter green and darker green parts.
Herbs - You'll use both parsley and fresh mint for this salad. I think the optional ratio is ⅓ cup of chopped parsley and 2 tablespoons of chopped mint. You can chop up the parsley stems and use them in the salad, but don't use the mint stems (they're bitter).
Spices - The spices make this recipe! You'll need 2 teaspoons of sea salt, 1 teaspoon of sumac, and 1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper. You can also use urfa biber or red pepper flakes if you'd prefer.
Other Toppings - You'll also use 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
More Turkish Recipes to Try
If you like Mediterranean recipes like this one, check out some of our other favorite Turkish recipes.
- Shepherd's Salad (Turkish Chopped Salad) - an easy and fresh chopped salad with tomatoes, bell pepper, and cucumbers.
- Turkish Lentil Soup (Mercimek Corbasi) - a delicious and creamy red lentil soup that's hearty and healthy.
- Turkish Cucumber Salad - a super simple yogurt and cucumber salad.
- Menemen (Turkish Eggs Recipe) - the most popular breakfast dish in Turkey - this easy eggs and veggie recipe is delicious.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Make sure to use a good amount of salt (at least a tablespoon) in the water when boiling your potatoes - this helps season them.
Specialty Ingredients - This recipe calls for both sumac and Aleppo pepper (substitute for red pepper flakes if necessary). If you'd like to buy either of these, I recommend getting them from The Spice House (Spice House sumac and Spice House Aleppo pepper).
Storing Tips - You can store this recipe for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Turkish Potato Salad (Patates Salatasi)
This delicious Turkish potato salad is a great side dish or light lunch for a picnic.
- 3 pounds (about 4 to 5 large) potatoes (use Russet for a creamier texture and Yukon Gold for a firmer texture)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil.
- Boil potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Allow potatoes to cool and then peel and dice them into large chunks.
- Combine the potatoes, green pepper, green onions, parsley, and mint in a large mixing bowl.
- Top with olive oil and lemon juice. Then sprinkle with the sumac, Aleppo pepper, and salt. Toss till combined.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 731mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g