This delicious vegetarian quiche recipe with spinach and asparagus is a tasty brunch or light dinner.
The best thing about a great quiche is that it's packed with veggies and substantial enough to enjoyed for any meal. This dish hits all the savory notes you want in a classic quiche!
If you like the flavors of quiche lorraine but want a vegetarian option or just a slightly less heavy version, this easy vegetarian quiche is the recipe for you!
You can use your favorite veggies in this quiche (some substitution ideas can be found below) - it's endlessly versatile.
Many quiche recipes call for heavy cream, but we've lightened up this recipe by using milk. The flavor and texture are still great though!
Here's what you'll need to make this easy veggie quiche.
- Prepared Pie Crust or Homemade Pie Crust
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Asparagus
- Baby Spinach
- Fresh Eggs
- Whole Milk
- Gruyère Cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
If making a homemade crust, roll out the dough and place it in a 9-inch pie dish. If using a ready-made crust, defrost according to package directions.
Slice asparagus into small pieces.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and sliced asparagus and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the spinach and cook over medium heat just till the spinach has wilted.
Spread the spinach-asparagus mixture across the base of the pie dough in an even layer.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Whisk till the yolks break.
Add in the milk, half the cheese, and the salt. Whisk till combined.
Pour egg mixture on top of the spinach mixture. Spread the remaining cheese across the eggs.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the quiche filling has set.
Allow the quiche to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
More Brunch Recipes
Want more great brunch recipes? Here are several, including multiple egg recipes, that we love for breakfast and brunch.
- Grated Egg Avocado Toast - a great way to make avocado toast!
- Turkish Simit Recipe - a delicious sesame bagel recipe.
- Chili Oil Eggs - eggs cooked in chili oil and served with rice.
- Pesto Eggs - this easy breakfast recipe is one of our favorites!
Substitutions & Variations
Want to make some changes to this recipe? Here are some ingredients that can be easily swapped or added.
- Cheese - the gruyere can be substituted for cheddar cheese, goat cheese, or feta cheese.
- Vegetables - the asparagus can be substituted for your favorite vegetables, including a pint of cherry tomatoes (halved), or 2 cups of chopped bell pepper (red pepper works especially well in a quiche)
- Onions - you can add one chopped shallot or ¼ cup of sliced green onions to this recipe as well. Cook them along with the garlic and asparagus.
- Milk - you can swap the whole milk for skim milk or 2% milk if you'd prefer.
What to Serve with Quiche
Quiche is great on its own, but if you want a more substantial meal - pair it with one of these great options.
- Spring Mix Salad - a delicious and simple salad recipe that uses a whole container of spring mix greens.
- Easy Green Salad - the easiest green salad with a tasty mustard dressing.
- Breakfast Fruit Salad - fruit served with orange juice for a delicious and sweet dish.
The cooked quiche will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Check to see if your quiche has set and is ready to come out of the oven by jiggling it a bit - if it wobbles in the center it's not set. The crust should be golden brown.
Specialty Ingredients - I like using a premade pie crust for this recipe - here are the ones I always use.
Reheating Instructions - The best way to reheat quiche is in the oven or a toaster oven. Microwaving makes the crust too soggy.
Serving Options - Quiche can be served warm or at room temperature.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Vegetarian Quiche Recipe
This delicious vegetarian quiche recipe is a great brunch or light dinner. It's packed with veggies and is full of flavor!
- 1 9-inch prepared pie crust (or homemade dough)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of whole milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Remove the woody ends from the asparagus. Slice the asparagus into small ¼-inch pieces.
- Roll out the dough and place in a 9-inch pie plate, or if using a ready-made crust, defrost according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and sliced asparagus and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook just till the spinach has wilted.
- Spread the spinach-asparagus mixture across the base of the pie dough in an even layer.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Whisk till the yolks break. Add in the milk, half the cheese, and the salt. Whisk till combined.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the spinach mixture. Spread the remaining cheese across the eggs.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the center of the quiche has set.
- Allow the quiche to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g