This delicious zucchini flower pizza is a summery take on Pizza Bianca (white pizza). You'll stuff the flowers with goat's cheese and fresh herbs to make this cheesy flatbread.
Zucchini flowers (or squash blossoms) are the edible flower on zucchini or marrow plants. They're quite delicate and will wilt within a day or two of picking, so they are not usually sold at grocery stores.
You should be able to find them at a farmer's market or from a friend who gardens!
Why You Should Make a Squash Blossom Pizza
The stuffed squashed blossoms alone are enough to make this pizza a winner, but it's also cheesy perfection.
I think it's great fun to cook with edible flowers and this recipe is no exception. It's a feast for the eyes! Make it for brunch or just a nice summer dinner and serve it alongside our easy green salad with a glass of white wine.
Ingredients You'll Need
Pizza Dough - You'll need one pizza dough for this recipe. I highly recommend Smitten Kitchen's lazy pizza dough recipe or you can purchase one (I often get mine from Trader Joe's).
Mozzarella - You'll need 6 ounces of shredded, low-moisture mozzarella cheese. You can substitute this for other low moisture types of cheese, but be careful about using mozzarella balls - they will have too much moisture and will make the dough too wet.
Zucchini Flowers - You'll need 6 to 8 zucchini flowers. You can use male or female flowers, just remove the pistil or stamen before using.
Goat Cheese - You'll need 2 ounces of goat's cheese to stuff the squash blossoms. You could also use ricotta cheese for this.
Fresh Herbs - You'll use 2 tablespoons of roughly chopped basil to stuff the blossoms, but you can also use more fresh herbs to top the pizza. I used lemon thyme and sage.
Olive Oil - You'll use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to brush onto the pizza.
More Zucchini & Zucchini Flower Recipes
If you've got zucchini blossoms or zucchini, try some of these delicious recipes.
- Stuffed Squash Blossoms Recipe - these zucchini flowers are stuffed with cheese and baked for a healthier squash blossom recipe.
- Zucchini Spaghetti (Zoodles with Marinara) - make yourself some zucchini noodles and tasty marinara sauce.
- Creamy Zucchini Pasta with Lemon - half pasta, half zoodles - this is the perfect summer pasta recipe.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Preparation Tips - Zucchini flowers can wilt quickly. If your flowers are wilted, give them an ice bath for 15 to 30 minutes and they should perk up enough for you to stuff them.
Storing Tips - This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but honestly, it's best eaten immediately after you've made it.
Alternate Cooking Methods - If you like a really crispy pizza, you can make this recipe on a pizza stone on the grill. However, the flowers will wilt too much if you close the lid during the second, 5 minute bake time.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 zucchini flowers (blossoms)
- optional - fresh herbs like sage, thyme, or lemon thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven.
- Stretch the pizza dough into a 12-inch circle and place it on the pizza stone or a baking sheet.
- Brush the dough with the olive oil and spread the mozzarella across the top. Then sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, oregano, and garlic.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the goat cheese, basil, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Stir till it is combined.
- Remove the center stamen or pistil from the zucchini blossoms, then stuff each of them with a few small spoonfuls of the cheese mixture.
- After the pizza has been baked for 10 minutes, add the zucchini flowers to the pizza and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and top with any optional fresh herbs and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 732mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 23g