This fantastic, healthy 7-layer dip is perfect for your next party! It's got a great combination of flavors from refried beans to mashed avocado; you'll love this easy, festive Tex-Mex dip.
Perfect for game day or a party, this dip serves a crowd! Serve it alongside some pita chips or tortilla chips for a tasty snack or celery sticks and baby carrots if you'd like an even healthier recipe.
Full of healthy fats, this seven-layer dip is a satisfying snack or appetizer that's full of fresh ingredients! It's got an outstanding balance of ingredients that makes for a savory bite.
To make this a lower-cal recipe, we're using Greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute and packing in some fresh vegetables.
Here are the simple ingredients to make a healthy 7-layer dip recipe.
- Refried Beans (feel free to use refried pinto beans or black beans instead
- Canned Diced Green Chiles
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Shredded Cheese - Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese (you can also substitute for Cheddar Cheese)
- Fresh Avocados
- Lime Juice
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Tajin Seasoning (substitute for Taco Seasoning if you don't have Tajin)
- Cherry Tomatoes or Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
Optional toppings include chopped red onion, sliced green onions, additional shredded cheese, chopped bell peppers, sliced black olives, a sprinkle of Tajin or taco seasoning, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Place the can of refried beans, diced green chiles, garlic powder, cumin, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir till combined and heat for 3 minutes till warmed.
Spoon the refried beans into a large low bowl or 9x11 glass pan or casserole dish.
Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the refried beans in an even layer.
Mash avocados in a bowl, add the remaining sea salt and lime juice, and stir till combined.
Spoon the mashed avocado over the cheese and spread into a single layer.
Combine the plain yogurt and Tajin seasoning and stir till fully combined.
Spoon the yogurt mixture over the avocado layer and smooth into a single layer.
Top the dip with the diced tomatoes and cilantro.
More Great Appetizer Recipes
If you're looking for some tasty appetizers for a super bowl party, check out our crowd favorite game day recipes or try these great options.
Substitutions & Variations
Need to make some swaps to this recipe? Here are some options!
- Avocado Layer - if you want to save time or can't find ripe avocados, store-bought guacamole works well for the avocado layer.
- Tomato/Cilantro Layer - similarly, you can substitute the fresh tomatoes and cilantro layer for store-bought pico de Gallo if you'd prefer.
- Toppings - optional toppings include chopped peppers, green onions, shredded cheese, a sprinkle of taco seasoning, or sliced olives.
What to Serve with 7-Layer Dip
Here's what to serve alongside this tasty dip!
- Tortilla Chips - serve your favorite tortilla chips (I love blue corn) alongside this dip!
- Fresh Veggies - raw veggies like celery sticks, baby carrots, sliced radishes, or chopped broccoli are all very dippable.
- Pretzels or Crackers - pretzel sticks or pita chips pair well with this dip!
This dip is best served fresh when the refried beans are still warmed, but it can be saved in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
This recipe does not freeze well.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Preparation Tips - Taste each of the layers as you make them and add more salt as necessary.
Servings Instructions - I recommend serving this dip right after making it so the beans are still warm. Allow the dip to come to room temperature before serving; if you do make it ahead and keep it in the fridge. It should not sit out at room temperature longer than 4 hours.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 ½ cups yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Tajin seasoning
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Place the can of refried beans, diced green chiles, garlic powder, cumin, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir till combined and heat for 3 minutes till warmed.
- Spoon the refried beans into a large low bowl or 9x11 glass pan.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the refried beans in an even layer.
- Mash the avocados in a bowl, add the remaining sea salt and lime juice, and stir till combined.
- Spoon the mashed avocado over the cheese and spread it into a single layer.
- Combine the yogurt and Tajin seasoning and stir till thoroughly combined. Spoon the yogurt mixture over the avocado and smooth into a single layer.
- Top the dip with the diced tomatoes and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 851mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g