These tasty baked chicken wings are easy to make and perfect for a party or game day!
This chicken wings recipe serve 4 people as an appetizer or 2 to 3 as a main dish.
These well-spiced wings are baked till golden brown. They're succulent and juicy on the inside! The tangy mustardy spice blend can't be beat.
You may think deep frying is the only way to get truly crispy wings, but baking the wings on a wire rack ensures airflow over the whole wing as it bakes - making for a tender and moist interior with crispy skin.
You're going to love these crispy chicken wings! They're an easy recipe that you can make ahead for a party and they make a tasty appetizer.
Here's what you'll need to make this crispy oven baked wings recipe.
- Chicken Wings (flats, drummettes, or whole wings can be used)
- Olive Oil (or other oil like avocado oil, rapeseed oil, or vegetable oil)
- Lemon Juice
- Ground Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt (or sea salt)
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Mustard
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika (regular paprika will work as well)
- Onion Powder
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Rosemary
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the wings.
In a small bowl, combine the black pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken wings. Toss till coated.
Place the chicken wings on a wire rack on a baking sheet in a single layer. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the tips of the wings are crispy and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
More Great Appetizers & Small Bites
Try some of these tasty little bites at your next gathering!
What to Serve with Chicken Wings
There are all sorts of great sauces and sides for chicken wings - here a few of our favorite sauces you might enjoy!
- Creamy Chicken Wing Sauce - this tangy yogurt and sour cream sauce is one of our favorites!
- Buffalo Sauce - this spicy sauce with hot sauce and vinegar is a classic.
- Healthy Ranch Dressing - one of our all-time great sauces!
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - a sweet and tangy sauce the whole family will love.
- Blue Cheese Dressing - a kicky and creamy sauce perfect for dipping.
The baked wings will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
You can freeze the cooked chicken wings for up to 6 months. Store in a freezer-safe container or Ziplock bag.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Preparation Tips - If you have whole chicken wings and would like to break them down, this tutorial is extremely helpful. I recommend cutting off the wing tips at the very least. They tend to burn more easily than the thicker parts of the wing.
Recommended Tools - I highly recommend using a rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack to bake the wings.
Alternate Cooking Methods - If you'd like to make a grilled version of this recipe, check out our grilled chicken wings recipe.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the wings.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken wings. Toss till coated.
- Place the chicken wings on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the tips of the wings are crispy and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 69g