This fantastic pesto shrimp is ridiculously easy to make! It's a great easy dinner idea that everyone will love.
It takes just a few minutes on the grill - you can use an outdoor grill or make it on the stovetop in a grill pan as well.
Pesto and shrimp are a great flavor combination that you'll love. It's an easy recipe that has layers of flavor.
This simple recipe comes together in just 15 minutes - making it a great easy weeknight meal.
Pair this great recipe with one or two sides and a glass of white wine for a delicious meal.
You don't need much to make this delicious, simple shrimp recipe.
- Fresh, shelled and deveined shrimp
- Pesto (homemade or storebought)
Here's a guide on making fresh pesto with fresh basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, and lemon juice.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat or a grill pan (or large skillet) over medium-high heat until very hot.
Combine the shrimp and pesto in a bowl and stir till the shrimp is fully covered.
Thread the shrimp onto skewers.
If you are worried about the shrimp sticking to the grill, brush a tablespoon of olive oil onto the grill grates with tongs and a paper towel.
Place the shrimp on the grill or in the pan and cook on each side for 1 to 2 minutes until the shrimp are pink and curled.
If you are using jumbo shrimp it may take 2-3 minutes per side.
If the shrimp are cooking too quickly, reduce to medium heat.
Remove the shrimp from the skewers and serve them immediately.
More Great Seafood Recipes
Love a good pescetarian meal? Try some of our other favorite seafood recipes.
- Baked Lemon Salmon Recipe
- Easy Oven Baked Shrimp Recipe
- Thai Fish Curry
- How to Grill Tilapia on the Stove
Substitutions & Variations
Want to add a few more ingredients or make some substitutions? Here are some ideas.
- Lemon - after pulling the shrimp off the grill, you can give them a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or sprinkle them with a little lemon zest.
- Spice - if you want to add a little heat, stir in ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes into the pesto before coating the shrimp.
What to Serve with Shrimp
Check out our full post of healthy side dishes or try one of these favorites!
- Sautéed Yellow Squash - a great summer side dish that pairs well with fish and seafood for a low carb meal.
- Grilled Corn in the Husk - if you're making the shrimp on the grill, add some corn as well. It's a super easy recipe.
- Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta - cherry tomatoes and your favorite pasta shape are a perfect pairing for pesto shrimp!
- Sautéed Swiss Chard - a lovely, bright green side dish. Use rainbow chard or swiss chard.
You can save cooked shrimp for up to three days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Watch your shrimp closely. It's very easy to overcook them - as soon as they are pink and curled, remove them from the heat.
Specialty Ingredients - You can make your own homemade pesto. I recommend making it in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle. The fresh flavor of homemade pesto can't be beaten!
Alternate Cooking Methods - You can make this shrimp recipe in the air fryer as well - cook them for 8 minutes at 400 degrees F (no need to flip them).
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
This delicious, simple pesto shrimp recipe is ready in just a few minutes.
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat or a grill pan over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Combine the shrimp and pesto in a bowl and stir till the shrimp is fully covered. Thread the shrimp onto skewers.
- Place the shrimp on the grill or in the pan and cook on each side for 1 to 2 minutes until the shrimp are pink and curled.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and serve them immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 243mgSodium: 1154mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 28g